Wednesday, April 29, 2009

In the Woods - Tana French

A colleague at the Shaker Heights library recommended this book to me (I substitute there from time to time). She said she was "obsessed" with it--so I couldn't pass it up, especially since the audiobook was available. It turns out the Ravenna Road Irregulars, our mystery club, is doing this book as their June selection as well. I definitely could understand why my colleague liked it so much. The story revolves around Rob Ryan, a detective in Dublin, Ireland. A case brings him to his childhood hometown of Knocknoree, and there he must both try to solve the new case as well as come to terms with an older case that he was involved in years ago. The characterization and language were both beautiful, and the plot well constructed--all the most important things I look for in a compelling novel. In addition, the audio reader was fantastic, and even though the book was 18 discs, I was so enthralled that I barely realized it. Usually I get twitchy with a book and want to finish it, especially when it's an audiobook, but it held my attention. I highly recommend this book for both mystery lovers and lovers of literary fiction. I can't wait to read the sequel, The Likeness.

EDIT:
I didn't even realize Carol had already blogged about this book! Just another endorsement from both of us to go read it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home