Friday, January 25, 2008

The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want

I don't read self-help books very often, because usually I feel that the advice in them is either too general or it doesn't apply to me. But I was intrigued by this one, by Sonja Lyubomirsky, because I had seen her quoted in several articles in women's magazines. She seemed to know what she was talking about, both happiness-wise and science-wise. I figured even if I didn't need to be happier (I'm generally a happy person), I would be interested in the research studies she conducted. I was right--it was a fascinating book, clearly written and easy to understand, and many studies were cited to back up the writing. Lyubomirsky also gives us "happiness strategies," but she stresses that not all of them might be a good fit. For example, one person might be most comfortable with "Giving Thanks," whereas someone else might like "Setting Goals." While I read, I agreed--there were particular strategies that I'd like to employ, but others I'm already doing on a constant basis, or they weren't my style. I loved how the book was custom-made to fit readers' individual personalities. Overall, I have to recommend this book, especially if you are feeling down in the dumps. I wasn't feeling well the day I read it, so it was nice to have a mental pick-me-up. I may have been coughing and feverish, but I was definitely feeling happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home