Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Wall of the Sky, The Wall of the Eye

I've read a book of Jonathan Lethem's short stories, as well as his novel As She Climbed Across the Table. He has a couple other highly lauded novels, but I haven't been able to get into them. I like his short stories because they're weird and evocative, but since they're short, it doesn't hurt me too much if I get lost. I can always go back and re-read. I did really enjoy this one. All the stories had a sci-fi element, although Lethem is not strictly a sci-fi writer. In fact, his work focuses on the human aspects of the characters rather than gimmicks in the plot. I absolutely loved the first story in this collection, "The Happy Man," although it was scary, and my second favorite was the one that has a swear word in the title. I recommend this one to readers who are looking for something very different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home