Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Glass Castle

Non-fiction. This memoir by Jeannette Wells recounts her life growing up in a very unorthodox lifestyle in which the family is constantly moving from place to place. Her mother is an eccentric artist and her father is an alcoholic. What sets this book apart from the let me tell you all about my terrible childhood books that are overflowing the bookshelves (like Augusten Burroughs' Running With Scissors which I hated)is that Wells tells her story lovingly and with humor. Albeit she shares her frustrations with the selfishness of her ego-centric parents but she isn't out for revenge. I cheered for her at the end and recommend this book.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger RC said...

Interesting you say you hated running w/ scissors...i just finished reading it and wrote a couple post on it.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the original posting of this book. From the first page, this book grabbed me and kept me hooked till the end. I found it so unbelievable that the parents who were smart could live the way they did with their children. Often, I have thought that there is a find line between "insanity" and being a "genius". In my opinion, the author's parents' did not walk this line well. They fell mostly on the "insanity" side of the fence.

This book is one that I have
definitely been recommending to all my family and friends. It helped put my childhood in perspective. As for the author, it is great that even though she had an unfortunate childhood, she managed to "pull herself and her siblings" up by their boot straps to become contributing adults to society. They are role models for others who either are living that way now, or have lived that way in the past. Kudos to the author, her sister and brother! I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! [Can you tell:=)]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home