Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Simple Plan

I decided to read A Simple Plan by Scott Smith on the recommendation of my friend John, who had heard about it from Stephen King. John is a huge King fan and will read pretty much anything he recommends. And I like King too--although I was kind of annoyed about what he said about the Twilight books. Still, I loved Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, which King also recommended, so I decided to go for it. This is one of the few books I actually did not get from the library (I borrowed it from my friend). It's not owned by TPL, but you can reserve it, and we do own the movie adaptation. Hank Mitchell is an unassuming guy in a suburb of Toledo who stumbles across an abandoned plane in the woods as he's out with his brother and his friend Lou. They find $4 million in the plane and decide they will split it up in six months' time. What starts as a simple plan degenerates into blackmail and murder. The book is chilling because Hank is an everyman, and as a lifelong Northern Ohio resident, I could almost see the story happening. I know I will be scared by Smith's second book, The Ruins, but I can't resist reading it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home