Monday, November 05, 2007

The Year of Living Biblically

A.J. Jacobs wrote The Know-it-All, which was about his experience reading the entire encyclopedia during one year. I loved that book, so I was anticipating this one, even though the topic was completely different. It was quite a surprise. Jacobs decided to follow all the rules of the Bible, literally, for one year. I remembered Jacobs's lighthearted, yet also fact-filled writing style, but I wasn't prepared for the amount of spiritual reflection I went through while reading. Jacobs makes many sacrifices to follow the Bible, and I don't know if I would be able to make them myself. The book details both Jewish and Christian traditions, and the relationship between them intrigued me as well. Overall, an engrossing and engaging read.

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Beth Hatch said...

The Ladies' Book Discussion Group chose this title as one of the books to read for January 2008!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home