Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mosaic

Written by Egyptian writer Soheir Khashoggi, Mosaic takes place mostly in Jordan. Jordanian husband, Karim, of Lebanese-American wife, Dina, 'kidnaps' their youngest children, twins, in order to remove them from life in the U.S. His reason being that since 9/11 he feels that Arab-Americans in general are looked at skeptically and even suspiciously simply because they look Arab. Khashoggi keeps the story moving as she blends suspense with family relationships and Jordanian culture. Toward the end of the book, I thought an attraction between Dina and a private investigator was a little far-fetched but for the most part the story was believable. Interesting insight into Jordanian culture and family. I read this for a book group and wouldn't normally have picked it up but I'm glad I did. Now I'm on to reading Leap of Faith by Queen Noor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home