Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

This is a memoir of Frey's time in rehab for severe alcohol and drug addiction. OK, so it's controversial due to Frey's admittance that he embellished the truth and changed some details. Oprah really laid into him on her show after Frey was outed by The Smoking Gun. In my humble opinion, the publisher was to blame. Frey tried to publish this originally as fiction. I think he was probably guided to the nonfiction category. Don't they have fact checkers? Anyway, I found the book to be totally compelling. I liked his style of writing and found it to be rather poetic in places. My book group read this or I might not have picked it up but I'm glad I did. It does not feel false to me and I guess it doesn't matter to me if some details have been changed. This book is not for the faint of heart. The language and descriptions are very graphic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home