Monday, October 13, 2008

Dune, by Frank Herbert

Yeah, I know it's a classic. But I had never read it, partly because I was intimidated by its massive size. So instead of reading it, I listened to the library's CD copy. It was far and away the highest quality audiobook I've ever heard; it's clear the book has a dedicated fan base to warrant such care four decades after its initial release.
As for the story, it's easy to see how it's managed to stick around. Such a lovingly wrought setting is a rare thing, and for a science fiction writer to display such word-craft is still a surprise. If, like me, you'd been putting it off, rest assured that the book is well worth the investment of time.


Powered by ScribeFire.

2 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Cari said...

How long did it take to listen to the whole thing? -Cari

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Fred said...

A long time! I listened to it in the car over the course of maybe three weeks or so. The sequel's on its way and looks a lot shorter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home