Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dead Until Dark


I was privileged enough to write the 200th post... now I'm also writing the 300th post!

One of the great things about the Twinsburg Library is that we have a built-in network of reading buddies. If you ever listen to the ABC Book Reviews Podcast, you can hear that Beth and I are pretty nuts about books--and our colleagues are no exception. The former director of TPL, Karen Tschudy, got me hooked on the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and now she's got me hooked on another series. Dead Until Dark, by Charlaine Harris, is the first in the Southern Vampire series, starring Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie is a waitress who can hear people's thoughts. In this first book, she has to clear both her brother and her boyfriend, the vampire Bill, in a series of murders plaguing her little Louisiana town, Bon Temps. I listened to it, and the reader, Johanna Parker, was fantastic. I was really drawn into Sookie's world, and the characterization dovetailed nicely with the reader's voice. I can't wait to read the rest of them now. Incidentally, this series is being turned into an upcoming HBO series called True Blood, with Anna Paquin of the X-Men movies as Sookie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home